Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Feeling ease and getting back into the flow…

“Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is forever flowing through one's head.”
- Mark Twain

Snow Falling (image courtesy of wallpapersfun.wordpress.com)
So I have to admit to dragging my feet about writing, waiting for inspiration on something positive to mention.  Don’t get me wrong, plenty of positive, noteworthy things are happening, but sometimes I just get stuck on what’s going wrong.  Does that ever happen to you?  And focusing too much on the things that aren’t working can suck the joy out of all of the things that ARE going well.

For example, this Zen Gypsies adventure has been such a revelation to me.  It embodies the highest aspirations Melinda and I have for our lives and what we hope to share with others:  optimal wellness, mindfulness, healing, passion, creativity and community.  The experiences I’ve had working with Melinda, collaborating on ideas, interacting with people, and exploring new things have all been life-affirming and fun.  However, at the same time, this focus has directed a high beam spotlight on areas in my life that need some serious work.  So as the New Year started, I created a whole list of resolutions that I intended to keep.  In addition to that, I created a vision board, read great advice about the most effective ways to change habits, and was aware of the statistics about the failure to keep New Years’ resolutions.  Despite being fully prepared (or so I thought), I dove in head first trying to change everything at once.  Yeah…

Among the things I started was not one, but four, 30-day fitness challenges.  Although I was successful for four days, perhaps it might have been a little easier to start with one to affect a real lasting habit change!  Here’s the app if you want to check it out, Thirty Day Fitness Challenges.  I intend to pick it up again soon but with a more reasonable approach given the other things on my schedule.

Then, there are times when I get so focused on getting things done, or rushing off somewhere that I forget basic self-care activities, like eating, until I notice that I’m running on empty.  In an effort to be more mindful of this tendency, I downloaded this helpful app, My Fitness Pal, to monitor food and water consumption as well as activity levels.  I did manage to keep that going for a couple of weeks…
Also, I joined a 30-day Hoop Challenge on Facebook.  It sounded really fun!  Thirty minutes of waist hooping for thirty days.  Sounded doable.  I have yet to start.  Hmmm.

And on the spirituality/wellness front, I entered the Find your Center: A 10 Day Challenge.  Uh, that lasted two days.

Let’s just say, I am not doing any of these specific things at the moment despite the fact that they are all great tools for working on areas that I’d like to improve.  One day soon, I fully intend on revisiting all of them. 

Unfortunately, after these wonderful resolutions dropped off the map, I fell into a funk, until I realized that I was over thinking a lot of this stuff and flailing about in a whole lot of action without connecting to why I wanted to achieve these particular goals in the first place.  Taking a step back, I remembered that I wanted to feel vital, empowered, clear, centered and grounded.  Simply put, I just wanted to feel better.

But focusing on “failure” was preventing me from appreciating the beauty of life and all of the good things that were happening.  And from that space, I was approaching life and myself from a place of lack and disconnection.  Not a good place to be at all!

After this epiphany and remembering that much anxiety and stress are self-created by the storm of thoughts running through one’s head, I quietly sat with the awareness of this observation.  Gently leaning into the present moment in mindfulness, I remembered there is only now.  And in quieting that storm, the endless loop of doubts, the “shoulds” and “shouldn’ts,” I remembered that I choose my focus… I am the thinker of these thoughts.  And by logical extension, I can choose to feel better any time I want through the focus of those thoughts.  I can choose to feel better now, in this moment.  Reminding myself with compassion, is a moment by moment practice that sometimes requires more effort than at other times.  Choosing or reaching for better feeling thoughts makes the journey along the way definitely more pleasurable.  And isn’t that the point of life… to enjoy the journey as much as the destination?

The start of a new year, just like the start of the school year in September is always fertile with promise.  It’s as though the reset button has been pressed and one has a clean slate.  And while that’s certainly true of those particular times, it’s also true for every morning that you wake up, or for every time you enter awareness of the present moment.  Because the fact is, there is only now.  Every decision we make is in the now.  All of our power is in the now.  Right here.  This moment.  Right now.

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. "
- Lao-Tzu

A quiet moment in Melinda's garden last fall
If you're in the local area, February 1st, come join us as we celebrate longer days and the return of spring with a dance performance:

Return of the Light - A Dance Celebration


Date:   Saturday, February 1, 2014
Time:  8:30-10:30pm
Location: Blue Wind Gourmet, 22803 Gunston Drive, Lexington Park, MD  20653
Zen Gypsies Facebook Event


Find out more about us
Explore our library of resources
Join us for workshops and events
Like us on Facebook


 

2 comments:

  1. Aurora, this was food for thought! I need to be more compassionate to myself as well. I was berating myself for not having written 750 words yesterday, which is one of my current challenges. Rather than continue to dwell on that failure, this morning I submitted a poem for publication. Maybe I could dwell on successes like that instead--and celebrate. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, thank you for your comments! When I am in a place of discomfort from not achieving a goal, it's often helpful for me not only to be compassionate towards myself, but also to remember that showing up, practicing, the process can be a source of joy as well - that in every moment, we are new and have the opportunity to begin again fresh. Good for you for showing up on the page to write - what an amazing accomplishment that is in and of itself. And congratulations on submitting your poem for publication!!

    ReplyDelete