Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Feeling abundance

"The life each of us lives is the life within the limits of our own thinking.  To have life more abundant, we must think in the limitless terms of abundance."
― Thomas Dreier

Founding Farmers Restaurant (Photographed by Mike Moran)


During an unseasonably warm, sporadically rainy day, I met with fellow Zen Gypsy, Melinda and our dear friend Janella as they treated me to a wonderful early birthday celebration.  The afternoon started with a delicious brunch at eco-friendly, farm-to-table American restaurant, Founding Farmers, in Washington, DC.  It was such a pleasure to spend time with these strong, beautiful, independent women who have inspired me since our shared involvement with improvisational tribal and tribal fusion dance and beyond.  That experience of dance was pivotal in forming one of the core values of central importance to me -- community.

Lingering over our meals, savoring every last bite, we caught up on the day to day events of each other’s lives and reflected on the year ending and the New Year to come.  As the conversation meandered from mundane issues to our highest hopes and dreams, I was filled with a palpable sense of promise and abundance.  Mindful of that uplifted feeling, I tried to hone in on what that really felt like in a tangible, visceral way.  I noticed that for me, abundance feels like well-being, satisfaction, fullness, like the sweet relief of exhalation after a deep breath -- a full body internal “aaah.”

Later that day, Melinda and I visited The Smithsonian's Sackler Gallery to view the exhibit Yoga: The Art of Transformation, which is in town until January 26, 2014.  It was a fascinating exploration of the philosophical foundations and goals of yoga, its many cultural manifestations, and its continuing transformative power, as viewed through the lens of Indian paintings and sculpture.

Yoga: The Art of Transformation Exhibit Catalog, Sackler Gallery Museum Store


I drove home that day feeling wrapped in a warm blanket of gratitude, appreciation and abundance, not only for my dear friends, but for all the amazing gifts of the day:  our conversation, delicious food, and the power of art to uplift and convey multiple layers of meaning as well as beauty.

Although abundance comes in many forms, during the holidays, it’s more often than not associated with gifts given and received, and yet it’s so much more than that.  For example, upon waking this morning, I noticed and appreciated the sight and sounds of birds flying in formation past my balcony, sunlight warming my face despite a bitterly cold breeze... the chicory-tinged taste of my coffee.. the soft whir of my essential oils diffuser dispensing a refreshing citrusy blend of peppermint and wild orange.  The experience of abundance was plentiful:  in nature, through being fully present in my body, in being attentive to details both great and small.  Abundance is present in the smile of a passing stranger, unexpected acts of kindness from co-workers, a motorist allowing me to cross a couple of lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic, a sweet parking space in a crowded garage, a large communal table of relative strangers breaking out into song upon learning it was my birthday.

"When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."
― Lao-Tzu

Collected memorabilia from the day at the Sackler Gallery


“Happiness is part of who we are. Joy is the feeling”
― Tony DeLiso

Wishing your holidays are filled with abundance, joy, happiness and peace!



Find out more about us
Explore our library of resources
Join us for workshops and events
Like us on Facebook


3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful message for Christmas Eve. So good to remember to appreciate what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, my friend, self-actualized....it's awesome that you share in a way that will inspire others :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind remarks! :-)

    ReplyDelete